Notes from Scholar Exchange with Akhil Amar.
- Some of the Bill of Rights (1st amendment) is to protect the states against the federal government's overreach.
- The 14th Amendment invites us to take a second look at the Bill of Rights and see new things there that weren't there before.
- The most important part of the Constitution is the part that allows it to be amended.
- The U.S. Constitution is difficult to amend.
- There's not a lot of amendments, but they're good amendments.
- States like California have lots of amendments that aren't great, because the bar for amendments is lower.
- The 4th, 5th, and 6th amendments protect the innocent.